Greece Athena Middle School Updates
April 4, 2020
Athena Middle School Student Government would like to take a moment to reflect on these unprecedented times that we're all experiencing, and try to bring some positive thoughts and a bit of unity to all of our lives. To do this, we are going to have a virtual spirit week. Each day of this upcoming week, we will be sending out a link to a Google Form for you and your family to upload a picture to represent the theme of the day. From there we will create a slideshow of all the pictures and send it out for our community to view each day. Together we will get through this and become stronger for it!
- Monday, April 6th - Red, White and Blue Day: Send in a picture of your family dressed in red, white and blue or hold a sign that describes what national unity means to your family. Click here to access Form to submit a photo.
- Tuesday, April 7 Family Day: Send in a picture of your family with a sign saying in 1 or 2 words what family means to you. (Link will be sent Monday night)
- Wednesday, April 8 First Responders/Health Care Providers Day: Send in a picture holding a sign expressing your encouragement, hope, thanks, or a picture of someone you know working in one of these fields. (Link will be sent Tuesday night)
- Thursday, April 9 Spirit Day: Send in a picture dressed in your Athena colors or holding a message for your classmates or staff members. (Link will be sent Wednesday night)
Reminder, our school is closed and no school activities on or off campus. Please continue to take the precautions of washing hands and social distancing seriously. Here are some thoughts regarding online learning for students:
- Please make sure your child connects with their teachers during the week (Google Meet, Google Classroom, or email).
- Create a daily schedule for your child that includes independent reading, check in with a teacher, online learning as posted, and exercise!
- Refer to Learning from Home Expectations 4-2-20
- Parents, email your child’s teacher directly to get insight regarding content and ask questions!
- Curriculum Resource for subjects
- Students in 6th through 12th grades should devote 2 hours a week to each full-year course** (example math) and 1 hour a week on each half-year course (example health). Some families may choose to spend more time learning from home. These guidelines are considered minimums.
- We realize that distractions at home may make learning a challenge for some students. With that in mind, we will be assigning feedback to students in an “exceeds/pass/fail” format for the fourth marking period that will contribute to the final numeric average for the courses in which they are enrolled. School staff are monitoring student engagement and checking in on a regular basis to ensure that they continue learning from home.
- Due to school closure, third quarter grades will be based on work assigned through March 13. Teachers will allow students to turn in all missing assignments through April 13. Students can also utilize the same learning recovery strategies used during the traditional school year. Please check Infinite Campus and reach out to your teacher for clarification on missed assignments. Reach out to your teacher for more information.
ATMS Library: Dear Athena Students, I'm writing to you as a "shout out" to say I hope you and your family are safe and well during this unexpected time! And in case you haven't seen a new website I put together for you, I wanted to make sure you knew it existed, and the resources it contains. If you have some time the next few days, feel free to browse your "At Home Library Toolkit." The page begins with a letter to you, along with my email, and a link where you can get more info if you need chromebook support. Then, I give you a link to a wide variety of reading suggestions, with direct links to SORA.
I never had a chance to tell you all how proud I am about Athena Middle's use of SORA -- did you know that of all the schools in Monroe Country, Athena Middle used SORA the most? it's true! So I am certain most of you already know how to use it, and are currently reading an ebook. But if you haven't yet used SORA, no worries, here's a slideshow to learn more about it, and you can also watch this short video about SORA. And SORA now has more books that are always available, unlimited copies, so you can always find a book to read.
On a personal note, I hope you are finding time to unwind and make the most of the time you have. In the afternoons I've been going on walks with my family, doing yard work, cleaning my garage, riding my bicycle, and doing all I can to stay safe and healthy. And yes, I've been doing some reading too :-) Stay well Athena! You got this! - Mr. Haines
ClassLink Help: If families and students are having issues with ClassLink please remind them to restart the device. Also, be sure to suggest they check with this help doc under www.greececsd.org --> Students --> Popular Pages, for steps on how to access from a non-GCSD device, including iPads.
8th Grade Washington DC Trip: Unfortunately, the current health situation leaves us no choice but to cancel all overnight trips from now through the end of the school year. This is extremely disappointing to us all as we know these trips create wonderful memories for our students. We will be reaching out to you soon regarding the process for obtaining refunds. Please note that it will take some time for ATMS to obtain the refunds from the travel agent. Once that occurs ATMS will issue and mail the refund checks to the student’s guardian. We appreciate your patience through the process.
8th Grade Course Selection: Below is a link for a PPT and letter with flyer regarding 8 go 9 course selection and ATHS graduation requirements.
Order Athena Middle School Apparel
Click on “Members” at the top
Click on “Go” next to Greece Athena Middle School
Everyone is invited to attend meetings and PTSA sponsored events. See the Parents and Community Tab of the School website www.greececsd.org for more details or log in to www.GreeceAthena.MemberHub.com . PTSA will be meeting weekly via teleconference to discuss updates and allow time to ask questions to Athena Administration during this school closure. PTSA members look for email with information on how to connect!
Thank you for your support!
- Christine LeVey, President
- Susan Roberts, Vice President
- Mary Jo Capuano, Secretary
- Debbie McMichael, Treasurer
The PTSA now has an online store! https://greeceathena.memberhub.store/ which is open to the public with no logging in required! This web store will allow us to accept credit card payments! There is a small processing fee with each transaction.