Greece Athena Middle School Weekly News and Notes
Follow us on Twitter: @jfulkerson_atms
Monday, January 14: Day A
Tuesday, January 15: Day B
Wednesday, January 16: Day C
Thursday, January 17: Day D
Friday, January 18: Day F
- January 15th PTSA 6:00 PM (ARHS Cafe) - Vaping Presentation for GCSD
- January 21st Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No School for Students
- January 25th Marking Period 2 Ends
- February 1st 2nd Marking Period Report Cards Sent Home
- February 11th Grade 6-8 Pride Assembly (GPAC 8:15-9:30 AM)
- February 12th PTSA 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- February 18-22 Presidents Week Recess - No School for Students
- March 7 Marking Period 3 Progress Report Sent Home
- March 12th Half Day for Students (Dismissal at 11:00 AM)
- March 19th PTSA 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- March 22 March Recess - No School for Students
- March 22-23 ATMS Musical
- March 29-30 ATMS Musical
- April 1-8 NYS ELA Test
- April 5 Marking Period 3 Ends
- April 8 Scoring Day - No School for Students K-8
- April 9th PTSA 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- April 12 Marking Period 3 Report Cards Sent Home
- April 15-19 Spring Recess - No School for Students
- April 30-May 7 NYS Math Test (CBT) May 6-May 31 SRI Window / i-Ready Window
- May 10 8th Grade DC Meeting - Forum Room
- May 15-16 Spring Concerts
- May 16 Marking Period 4 Progress Reports Sent Home
- May 21st PTSA 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- May 22-31 Science 8 Performance Test
- May 24-27 Memorial Day Recess - No School for Students
- May 29-31 8th Grade Washington DC Trip
- June 3 ILS Science 8 Written Test
- June 4 Grade 6 Science Final
- June 5 Grade 7 Science Final
- June 7 8th Grade Dance 6:30-8:30 PM (@ ATMS)
- June 12 Awards Night 6:30-7:30 PM GPAC
- June 18th PTSA 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- June 19 5th Grade Parent Meeting 6:30-7:30 PM (GPAC)
- June 19 STEM EXPO (GPAC) 8:00 AM -7:00 PM and ATHS Commons Area 4:00-7:00 PM
- June 26 Last Day Students K-8 (Half Day)
- June 26 Marking Period 4 Ends
MOVING? A NEW HOME MAY MEAN A NEW SCHOOL: Parents, did you know that if you move within Greece it may mean your children will have to change schools? According to Board of Education policy, in most cases, the school a child attends is based on his or her home address. Before you decide to relocate within Greece, call the Registration Office at 966-2230 to see what school your child would attend. If you move outside of your current school attendance zone, your child will have to change schools. Please reach out to our Registration Office before moving to be sure you know what school they will be attending. Exceptions are only made for high school seniors, or for mandated programmatic reasons, such as special education services.
TO ALL STUDENTS INTERESTED IN THE TECH CREW FOR NEWSIES: Please pick up the information and sign-up packet in the cafeteria today during your lunch block. The firm deadline for this is Tuesday, January 15th. There is There is a MANDATORY Parent/Student Tech Crew meeting on Saturday, January 19th at 10:30 a.m. in the Forum Room. Please plan ahead. All information is in the packet, but if you have any further questions, please see Mrs. Bechtold or Mrs. Robinson.
Engineering Club will be meeting next week on Thursday, Jan. 17th after school. Yearbook pictures for current club members will be taken during this meeting.
Chess Club: Please report to room 349 this Thursday, Jan. 17th after school for a traveling competition.
Student Government: Full Student Government meeting this Thursday, Jan. 17th at 7:15 AM in Mr. McGrain’s room.
Attention History Club members: We will be meeting this Wednesday, Jan. 16th in room 342 immediately following dismissal. Our discussion topics will include the upcoming field trip to the Hall of Justice. If you can not make this meeting for any reason, Please see either Mrs. Brunette or Mrs. Barton-Novellin for information.
NJHS members: Please turn in your contracts before this Friday. If you were not at our meeting last week, please see Mrs. Bugliosi in room 353 as soon as possible!
Chromebooks: Students, please make sure you are taking home your Chromebook and charging them each night. i-Ready assessment is being administered and would help if you have a fully charged Chromebook!
PAL Bowling at Domm’s Bowling Center – 640 West Ridge Road
- February 19th from 1PM to 3PM
- February 20th from 10AM to 12PM
- February 21st from 12:30PM to 2:30 PM
- February 22nd from 10AM to 12PM
Who? Children in elementary school through 12th grade.
Cost? There is NO cost to participate
Registration: To register your child for PAL Bowling please call us at (585) 865-9200 or (585) 581-4009. You can also e-mail us at GPDCommunityservices@greeceny.gov You will need to select a date to participate and provide the name and age of the child (or children) you are registering. We also require you to provide parent or guardian contact information for each child that is registered. Come bowl with Officer Bachman, Officer Hughes, and Officer Murray!
Athena High School Production of Mamma Mia: Show dates are February 1,2,8, and 9 at 7PM and February 3 and 10 at 2PM.
Athena Cares: Meet weekly after school on Thursdays. We would like to let students know that we now have a clothing closet and food pantry available for you and your families. There are times in everyone’s life when we need a little extra support, and Athena Cares is here for you. Simply let a trusted adult in the building know that you need assistance, and we will arrange an appointment for you. Mrs. Richardson in Room 321 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, Athena Cares is collecting prom dresses, formal dresses and bridesmaid dresses for Greece students who struggle financially to purchase a prom or ball dress. We want all students to be able to attend their prom or ball regardless of their financial circumstances. Please contact Mrs. Richardson at email@example.com or Raffaella Shutt firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Bazaar Dates for 2018-2019 (3:00-6:30 PM)
- Wednesday, January 23
- Wednesday, February 27
- Wednesday, March 20
- Wednesday, April 24
- Wednesday, May 22
- Wednesday, June 19
- Thursday, August 29
Washington DC: In order to be eligible for the 8th grade trip, each student must meet the following criteria:
- Consistently abide by the District/School Code of Conduct
- Complete 20 hours community service
- Make the initial payment of $169.00, due October 1, 2018 to secure a spot on the trip.
- Second payment of $150.00 due December 5, 2018.
- Final unpaid balance due February 11, 2019.
Parent University: Greece Central School District 2018 - 2019
February 13, 2019
6 – 7:30 p.m.
March 6, 2019
6 – 7:30 p.m.
Dr. Emily Jones
April 24, 2019
6 – 7:30 p.m.
Anxiety & Mindfulness
May 15, 2019
6 – 7:30 p.m.
Athena Middle School: We are proud to start a new extracurricular club, a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA). The overall goal of a GSA is to provide an opportunity for all students to gather together in a safe and welcoming manner to discuss issues and plan activities related to diversity, with an emphasis on gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ+) students.
This club will also serve as a resource for the community and families regarding important LGBTQ+ issues. These goals align with our district’s EnVision Greece 2022 Strategic Plan, specifically Goal 4 (Safe and Healthy Environment) and Goal 3 (Engaged Community). Athena Middle School’s group has been started by a group of students who wish to be allies for these sometimes marginalized groups and help make our school community a more inclusive and supportive space for them. They have met with me for several months to plan and organize, and we have also attended workshops provided by The Out Alliance in Rochester.
We are motivated by some startling statistics, based on a 2017 national study of LGBTQ+ youth, and we desire to ensure that our school’s statistics never mirror them.
- 57% felt unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation.
- 85.2% experienced verbal harassment.
- 75.1% of transgender youth felt unsafe at school.
- 63.5% said school staff ignored or brushed off a reported incident.
- More than 50% heard offensive/derogatory remarks from staff members.
- Youth without support are 2.5 times more likely to have lower grades, self-medicate and develop a drug problem.
- 50% of trans youth have attempted suicide.
We have been very thoughtful about how to roll out this club in the most meaningful and respectful way. We understand that a club such as this may make some parents uncomfortable, however we cannot ignore the above stated statistics regarding the LGBTQ+ student population. These students face very real issues that need to and deserve to be addressed. I appreciate your support and encourage you to contact me and/or Mr. Fulkerson with any questions or concerns that may arise. - Vicki Richardson (email@example.com)
WINTER SPORTS SHUTTLE BUSES
- Boys JV/V Swimming to Olympia # 903 @ 2:30
- Co-Ed Mod B Wrestling and Swimming to Arcadia # 944 @ 2:45
- V/JV Wrestling to Olympia # 316 @ 3:30
- Bowling to Dewey Gardens Tuesday’s ONLY (TBD - Based on Availability) @ 3:30 PM
RECERTIFICATION – ON-LINE
- Go to the Greece District website @ www.greececsd.org
- Click on Students, Athletics, and Forms & Documents
- Look for Re-Certification Online – click on and complete form. Don’t forget to upload your student’s most recent Physical form.
Sports Schedules: Just a reminder for coaches to check their schedules at www.mcpsac-ny.org. This is the only OFFICIAL schedule for Athena Athletics. As the winter sports season gets underway, the athletic office would like to remind middle school students and their families regarding attendance at home basketball games. All middle school students must be accompanied by an adult to enter any of our home basketball games modified through varsity. Students must leave the building after the school day and return with an adult for the games. Thank you in advance for your support and cooperation.
PTSA NEWS: 6:30 PM (Athena Library)
- March 19
- April 9
- May 21 includes PTSA elections
- June 18
Please go to the link below for information and resources about vaping and your student. https://www.smore.com/t91rs
The PTSA now has an online store! https://greeceathena.memberhub.store/ which is open to the public with no logging in required! This web store will allow us to accept credit card payments! There is a small processing fee with each transaction. Or stop by the PTSA table at school events. Also feel free to log in to the PTSA site at https://greeceathena.memberhub.com/ to see the updated calendar of events (MS and HS in one place).
Order Athena Middle School Apparel
- Visit: www.athleticoutletonline.com
- Click on “Shop” at the top
- Click on “Go” next to Greece Athena Middle School